"Bless us, O Lord, and these Thy gifts, which we are about to receive from Thy bounty, through Christ our Lord. Amen."

Monday, September 23, 2013

~ Fast & Slow Cooking ~


Yesterday was officially the first day of Autumn...so, I thought I would bring out my slow-cooker and simmer something aromatically delicious. 



Using my Make if Fast, Cook it Slow cookbook (which I picked up at a used book sale), I found something that I could make using the ingredients that I had on hand.  I omitted/added a couple ingredients:  It called for corn, I used carrots.  It called for cumin spice, I did not have any on hand, so I used rosemary, thyme, and celery seed.  Just a pinch or two of each.  Although it is suggested to use chili powder as a substitute, I omitted because of the salsa I used in the ingredients.  It was plenty spicy!

~ SALSA CHICKEN & BLACK BEAN SOUP ~

The Ingredients:
2 cans black beans, drained & rinsed
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken pieces
4 cups chicken broth
16 oz. salsa
1 cup frozen corn (I used fresh carrots)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 cup sour cream
Optional garnishes: shredded cheddar cheese, avocado slices, fresh cilantro



The Directions:
Drain & rinse the beans, place in stoneware.  Add the chicken, broth, and salsa.
Next, add the vegetables & spices.  Cover and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours, or high for 5 to 6 hours (I did high for 3 hours and low for 2 hours).  Mix in the sour cream before serving, and garnish with cheese, avocado & cilantro if desired.


My children loved it...even my picky one enjoyed it.  Depending on the spiciness of the salsa, will (of course) make your soup either mild or zingy!

2 comments:

  1. Okay, this looks amazing - thank you for sharing another easy, good & wholesome recipe, LOL! We could trade ya know!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds good to me!
    101 easy, good & wholesome ways to prepare chicken! :o)

    ReplyDelete